8.22.2011

Raiders Quarterbacks Prior to Pryor

The joke that is the Oakland Raiders quarterback.  Since 2002, when Rich Gannon was at the helm, the Raiders have yet to post a winning season.  Not a far fetched statement when you look at their QB situation since then.  Gannon played one more year (after the 2002 winning season) before Kerry Collins took over for a couple years.  When he didn't work out, they tried Andrew Walter, and Daunte Culpepper, and even Aaron Brooks.  When their one year tenures as the Raiders QB ended, all was saved when JaMarcus Russel became the savior for Oakland.  When I say savior what I really mean is, biggest bust since Ryan Leaf and maybe ever.  I remember one point when he was playing, I told my friends "If JaMarcus Russel is even a backup for a NFL team next year, I will not watch one game!"  Luckily he wasn't and I was able to enjoy football again. 

Last year, Jason Campbell showed us what we all knew, which was he couldn't screw up any worse than the previous 4 starters for the Raiders.  But, with the division being down last year, and Oakland's running game taking off, all Campbell needed to do was not turn the ball over and the Raiders went a modest 8-8. 

But, when do all the charades end in Oakland?  When will they actually realize that the QB is the most important position in the NFL?  When do all the projects stop?  I can't be the only one who realizes that every move they have made for a QB has been worse than the one before.  I would take any 10 year old kids opinion who plays Madden over the guys who keep paying these "quarterbacks" in Oakland. 

But, if what people say is true, and history repeats itself, then it should of been no surprise the Oakland Raiders took Terrelle Pryor in the third round of the NFL Supplemental Draft.  Yet again, another PROJECT!  Even at WR he is going to be a project, and a work in progress.  The only reason I see conceivable to take Pryor at all is for the story and the publicity.  However, I cant give the Raiders front office the benefit of the doubt that even this was the reason.   Hopefully, one day, for the sake of Raiders fans around the world, Pryor will be everything he isn't hyped up to be.  But, until then, all I can say is "Oakland, what are you thinking?"

No comments:

Post a Comment